So... both of my kids started school today!!!! Ally started third grade at Queens... and Luke, 3 year old preschool at St. Mary's.
We kicked off the day bright and early... Ally's alarm goes off at 6:45 and by that time, I'm already dressed and showered and mostly ready to go.... she was bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning. That should last about three days, tops. Then, the morning grumps will set it. I have to respect this. I too detest the early morning! She was happy to do her hair, dress in the outfit she chose for the occasion and have the breakfast she had chosen the night before. Happy, happy girl.... ready to conquer the third grade.
Then, we went in to wake Luke... who simply rolled over and grunted. He was not so ready to conquer the world... or preschool for that matter. He was really just thinking... "pillow... blankie..." Poor little man. But, he woke up and had his customary two cups of warm milk. Yep. My child is three and we start every morning with two cups of warm milk. :-) I respect this as well. I require two cups of hot coffee. We each have our crutch to make it through!
Luke gets dressed... I force the kids to smile for a few pictures...
Then... we were off! Out the door... on time and everything! That too will last about three days. ;-)
We all go to the first day drop off. Eventually, Scott will actually drop both kids. Ally is right on the way to work, and an easy drop off.... she just hops out of the car, you barely have to slow down. ;-) Luke will have to be walked in, but it is literally a block away from where Scott works.... but for now, until Luke grows more accustomed to the situation, I will take him. And Scott will drop Ally. Except for tomorrow cuz Scott is out of town.... and I'm single parenting it... but those times are few and far between.
Ally is our first stop! We all head to Queens and get out... we have the parking lot pictures to take. We are now pros at this, we have done it for two whole years now! ;-) Ally is an entirely different little girl than she was a year ago. No hesitation... she's out of the car before I put it in park... she is with her friends before I can unfasten Luke's car seat! This is the Ally I know and love.
We head to the "gang" and the picture snapping begins!
The bell rings... and Ally is off... she does, however, give me a hug and kiss goodbye... I wonder how long that will last. :-)
They line up... and they walk in... and that is that. Last year, Ally broke every mom's heart and ran out of the school crying. I will never forget the support I received from all the moms around.... how everyone who saw that still says to this day, their heart broke a little bit for us. One mom asked me if Ally would cry again this year... cuz she wasn't sure she could take it. ;-) I was like, "YOU???" HAHA! Yeah, last year, I was heartbroken for my girl.... but look at her now... I could not be more proud of her.
We waved our goodbyes and headed for the cars.... I could sense Scott's anxiety levels rise. Luke's turn....
He was so excited to go in.... he walked all proud... and brave. He hung his backpack up... and put his lunch in the refrigerator. He was doing so well.... and then, he snapped. He realized we were REALLY leaving him... and while we talked and talked and talked about it... nothing is real until it is there and it is happening.
I could see Scott start to freak... he wanted to linger, he wanted to stay. It is any parent's reaction... but Ally has taught me many things.... and this she taught me too. Goodbye and go. It doesn't do any good to linger. You gotta rip the bandaid off.... and I grabbed Scott's arm and pulled him out.... and listened to Luke scream "one more kiss Mommy" as I walked down the hall and choked back the tears that were right there ready to come.
UGH!!!!!!!!! Deep breaths. Get in the car. Go to work.
That's what I did... and I promptly called the school..... :-)))))) Where Ms. Linda got Ms. Sue and everyone let me know that Luke was now just fine. Ms. Sue asked him if he was hungry as soon as we left. She said "Luke, sometimes when I'm hungry, I get upset... are you hungry....?" And she told me that he shook is head and gave her a half smile... which, I can of course picture as clear as day... and then, he went and had a bowl of cereal in her office with her (she's the director) and then, happily returned to his room in time for "class" to begin. No tears.
Ms. Joann tells me he went from each of the stations with ease. When I reminded her it was his first time in a setting such as this, she was surprised. He did very well. Followed directions like a champ. He got teary one other time, during rest... and wanted me again.... but those tears were short lived and he fell asleep for about an hour.
I picked him up a little earlier than I normally would. Ally only had a half day... and she and her friend Caitte and I went to lunch... and then I got Luke around 2. I still wanted him to experience the day he will usually experience.... but I did get him about and hour and a half early. So he missed the second trip to the playground... where I learned Ms. Jill has a stop sign to stop cars and they hold a rope to cross the street. Luke wishes we had a stop sign and plans to ask Ms. Jill if we can borrow hers sometime.
In the end, Luke seemed happy. I asked him right away if he wanted to come back tomorrow, and he answered with an emphatic yes and nod of the head. That HAS to be a good sign. :-)
Looking forward to what the school day ahead will bring us!!!!!





1 comment:
Nika...Ally looked so big and cute heading off to school...such a pretty girl. Poor little Lukie...I know how he felt and how you felt...went thru it with 5 children...some were big girls and some were full of tears...it takes me back to all my girls and Joe...on their first day of school...it tugs on your heart and breaks it to pieces. Seeing little Ugi, is like seeing Joe again....Love you honey...Gramma Z
Post a Comment