Saturday, December 3, 2011

Post Surgery Fog....

So, I had some surgery yesterday.  I realize I have never actually had surgery in my life.   A planned surgery that is.  I had an emergency appendectomy a while back... but with that, you are sick as hell in the ER and then, they are knocking out out. You don't know what's going on.  You don't have the time to sit and agonize over it.

I did this time.

I went into my OBGYN for the normal thing.... I actually go more often because I have had abnormal paps.... and last January, had my first LEEP procedure done to remove some of my cervix that had some pretty bad abnormal cells.

So... almost two years later, the cells are back.  And, just as bad.  I cannot help but work myself up over this.  Add to it... the fact that my periods have been out of control and having all sorts of other issues.  I went though extensive testing to rule out the fact that maybe the abnormal cells had moved into my uterus, or that there was something worse.  I had an ultrasound and a biopsy of my endometrial lining.  All good under that hood.

But, still I had the crazy periods, so we decided I would have an endometrial ablation.... at the same time we removed more cervix... which meant, bigger surgery for me.  But the good drugs after!  ;-)

So, this is my second cervix removal... and while I went through my total anxiety attack... a part of me just wanted them to take everything out.  Luckily, my doc can talk me off a ledge like no one else can... and he assured me this was the best next step and that he was as aggressive as he could be in there.

Still... you hear the words "precancerous"... "stage 0 cancer"... "in five years this will turn into cancer" ... and you freak out just a bit!

I really toyed with whether or not I would go into this detail on my blog.  Then, I heard from a friend very recently... that a good friend of hers and someone I have met in the past... was just diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer at the age of 31.  She was NOT good about getting her paps.

Do you get your paps yearly?  I assumed everyone did. I am discovering more and more people do not.

It is a simple, albeit, uncomfortable procedure that could save your life people. This is not an option.

Go do it now.

Caught early, the survival rate is 97%...... caught late.... 17%. Those are some pretty drastic odds there.

Did I mention you should do it now?

Besides... they catch things even earlier now... like they did with me... and they get it out before it can even turn into something else. I am all for total removal of what could go bad.  Just get it out!

Knowledge is power. Take control of your body.  Take care of yourself.  Go get a freakin'  pap people!!

Today, I am feeling much better than yesterday.  I was in and out all day. I have the best nurse in the world in my hubby who has waited on me non stop. He brings me my drugs and won't let the pain come before he's popping a pill into my mouth. He feeds me. Waters me. Loves me.  He and Luke brought a little table in my room so we could have dinner together.  We make the best of mommy being laid up.

I will continue to take it easy for the rest of the weekend and should be good to go back to work on Monday.....

5 comments:

It's A Wonderful Life said...

Glad everything went well! Take it easy this weekend!

CJR said...

I am glad all went well, feel better soon! I feel your anxiety, b/c my mom had BC at 33 I have been getting mammograms since I was like 25. And I have had a couple with "suspicous" areas...all ended up being clear each time. But seriously, fun times.

Leslie Collins said...

I have my regular paps, but have discovered that not everyone I know has them regular, as well. It is scary. I am glad you shared and that you are alright!!!

Urquhart Family said...

Glad all went well, Nicki! I didn't know the extent of your surgery, but you were in my prayers. Rest up & hope you feel better each day!

Chrystal said...

Thanks for using your story to raise awareness on this issue. Hope you are back to feeling good soon!

P.S. Love the new picture on your banner!